Who are we?
Al Sidra Centre is non-profit organization located at the Kuwait Cancer Control Centre (KCCC). Dr Shafika Al Awadhi, consultant medical oncologist and head of the Breast Unit is the founder and head of Al Sidra Centre which is part of the Al Sidra Association for the Psychological Care of Cancer Patients. The patron and tireless supporter of this association is Sheikha Azza Jaber Al Ali Al Sabah.
The centre provides psychosocial support for women, and their families, who are living with cancer. Our dedicated team of staff and volunteers provide information and education along with emotional, social and psychological support for women with cancer at any stage of the disease.
We provide a warm, caring, safe and confidential environment for women, and their families, to help them cope with the cancer experience. The information, as well as emotional, psychological and complementary therapies can help our clients cope better with their illness, enhance the effects of their medical treatment and improve their quality of life.
What services do we offer?
Our programs and services will give patients and their family an opportunity to:
1. Learn more about cancer, the various treatments available and how to cope with possible side effects.
2. Attend monthly lectures and support group meetings where they can meet other people currently in treatment and survivors who have been through similar experiences and learn from one another in a support group setting.
3. Take part in the “Look Good Feel Good” program which helps women regain control of their lives through a holistic approach using wigs, head scarves and make-up while going through treatment.
4.Take advantage of complementary therapies such as massage, yoga, meditation, deep breathing, creative visualization and healing to help you manage stress levels and symptoms and regain a sense of control.
5. Communicate with our trained healthcare professionals for psychological support in order to reduce anxiety and distress surrounding the disease.
6. Attend educational seminars and workshops that offer practical advice and valuable information about coping with cancer and promoting physical, mental and emotional well-being.
Who can attend?
The Al-Sidra Centre is open to all women from all nationalities living with cancer in Kuwait through referral by her physician or the Cancer Clinic. Walk-in clients and families are also welcome. Clients will be asked to complete a short registration form including personal information and related questions for research purposes. All information is kept confidential. Each client and her relatives will be able to use the services provided by the centre for up to one year.
Where are we located?
The Al-Sidra Centre is conveniently located beside the Sheikha Badriya Al Ahmed Al Jaber Al Sabah Building at Kuwait Cancer Control Centre. The main entrance is wheelchair accessible and is located directly in front of the car park. The Centre will receive patients from 7:30 am till 1:30 pm on weekdays.
For more information please call:
Al Sidra Centre
Opening Times Weekdays 7:30am – 1:30pm