Kuwait Moms Guide spoke with Karen Orobey who runs Pet Passage, a pet import and export service in Kuwait. She provided us some basic guidelines that anyone planning to take out their pet or bring a pet into Kuwait needs to know.
1. All pets entering and Leaving Kuwait Must be at least 16 weeks old!
2. All pets MUST have all yearly shots and Must be micro chipped.
3. The Rabies shot Must be given at least 30 days or more before departure date.
4. If moving to the EU all pets Must have a Titre blood test.
5. At least three full months Must pass after the blood test was given, BEFORE the pet can travel to the EU. The same goes for the UK as well. For Australia and NZ, the blood test must be given six months before departure date.
6. For South Africa a blood test for digs only Must be given within 30 days of departure date.
7. Most countries require an import permit for that country.
Importing a pet to Kuwait
1. When entering Kuwait you will need an Import permit, from the ministry.
2. The law has changed in Kuwait and they are now allowing ONLY ONE dog per person!
Exporting a pet from Kuwait
1. When leaving Kuwait you will need an Export Permit from the ministry.
2. Pet passports are NOT issued in Kuwait. Pet Passport are issued in Europe only.
Some additional advice:
1. When traveling with a pet start early.
2. When a pet is traveling with you as excess baggage (which means attached to your airline ticket) Please make sure the airline gives you a confirmation number for the pet’s booking!
This is very IMPORTANT!!
3. All pets traveling with their owners on the same flight as themselves, MUST ADD their pet to their ticket AHEAD of time. PLEASE ADD YOUR PET TO YOUR TICKET AS EXCESS BAGGAGE BEFORE YOU PAY FOR YOUR TICKET!!
4. United Airlines will only fly pets in the cabin (If small enough 6 kilos and under with the soft sided crate).
5. If your with the American embassy or are in the military, then United will fly your pets as excess baggage.
6. The traveling crate MUST be large enough for your pet to stand up and turn around in, WITHOUT touching it’s head or ears on top of the crate and long enough for your pet to lay out lengthwise comfortably!
7. You will need food and a water dish that hooks on to the metal gate of the crate.
Ace Hardware sells these in the pet aisle.
8. You will need something soft for your pet to lay on for the bottom of the crate.
No food for your pet eight hours before the departure time. Water only!
9. A pet can go 24 hours without food!
Pet Passage offers a variety of pet import and export services including sending pets as cargo, (unaccompanied), obtaining import and export permits and other supporting paperwork. Telephone 6697-5644 or Email email@example.com
Editor's Note: This article was originally published in Issue #9 of the Kuwait Moms Guide Newsletter.